Surely you have heard of or have you ever tried these products, but do you know all the benefits of intimate lubricant? These gels are, among other things, great allies to maximize the pleasure of your sexual relations. If you want to discover not only what exactly they are, but what are all the advantages of intimate lubricant, keep reading. From Durex, we explain everything you need to know so that you can explore and discover how this product can help you.
What is an intimate lubricant?
An intimate lubricant is a substance specialized in improving the friction between the genitals to facilitate penetration and improve the couple’s sexual relations. These intimate gels are very useful, for example, to help those women who have problems lubricating naturally, although the truth is that there are a large number of benefits that accompany the use of these gels, as we will see later.
Types of lubricants
There are different types of intimate lubricant:
- Water-based: they are the most natural and the least irritating and, in turn, can be perfectly used with condoms. Although they tend to dry out quite easily, applying a little saliva is usually enough to reactivate their benefits.
- Oil-based: this type of lubricant usually lasts longer than those made with a water base; however, they are not compatible with the latex in condoms and cost more to remove from the body.
- Silicone-based: the difference between this type of lubricant and the others is that it is much thicker and, in turn, lasts longer. The silicone-based intimate lubricant is ideal for anal sex.
Benefits of intimate lubricant
Among the greatest benefits provided by intimate lubricant, the following stand out:
- Vaginal dryness – There are many reasons why women sometimes have lubrication problems. Some of these causes are hormonal changes, such as those that occur during pregnancy or menopause, the use of certain long-term contraceptives, pregnancy, chemotherapy, etc. There are also certain stressful times when it’s just harder to avoid vaginal dryness. In these cases, intimate lubricants are very good allies to increase pleasure during sex without worrying about a lack of lubrication.
- Anal sex: intimate lubricant is essential for anal sex, since this type of sexual practice requires great lubrication and dilation so that intercourse can be pleasurable for both parties. The best lubricant for this type of sex is a silicone-based lubricant, as it is very thick and takes time to evaporate. If you want to discover more keys about this type of encounter, we invite you to read our article What you need to know about anal sex.
- Add fun: Nowadays, there are a large number of sex toys and intimate gels that are perfect for adding sensuality and fun to the intimate moments you spend with your partner. Choose the one that best suits your preferences and enjoy.
- Benefits for the condom: intimate lubricant can also be very beneficial for condom use, since if you choose the right gel, you will prevent the latex from deteriorating and the condom from breaking .
- For sex toys: intimate lubricants are essential for sex toys, since they prevent the friction of the toy with the skin, prevent infections and increase pleasure during intercourse. Despite this, you should keep in mind that not all lubricants are suitable for sex toys, so read the product labels to find the most suitable one.
- Oral sex: lubricants are also ideal to enjoy foreplay and oral sex like never before, since among the different types of gels that exist on the market, you can discover a wide range of flavors to choose the one you like best.
Do you want to know exactly how to use them? In our article how to use an intimate lubricant, we explain it in detail so that you can enjoy the most satisfying sex with your partner.
Not any lubricant will do!
If you have thought about using home remedies to lubricate yourself, you can forget about it, since it is essential for your health that you only use products specially designed for intimate lubrication. The use of homemade lubricants, such as Vaseline or baby oil, can be very harmful to your health, as they can cause irritation in the intimate area and even infections, since some ingredients contain additives that are harmful to the skin.
Another thing to keep in mind is that you should always use lubricants that are compatible with latex condoms so that the gel does not damage the condom and cause you discomfort. Except for Durex Massage 2 in 1 gel, the lubricants from the Durex range can be used safely with our condoms.